Text Features

How do you tackle teaching text features? I took the first day to give an overview of the text features, then each day we have focused on a different text feature (or 2) then read a page in a non-fiction text, highlighting the text feature we have discussed. As far as assessing the students knowledge, I have a quick formative assessment that I'm going to give the kiddos where they have a word bank and have to label the different text features (total of 4). Summative assessment wise--in small group, each group has been reading a text at their level about seasons or space. So my thoughts were to have the students write/draw an illustration & caption, a heading, and an important sentence that contains one word with bold print. Teaching text features to 1st graders is a little abstract to them, but hopefully something in one of the lessons will stick! I'd love to hear how you teach text features to your kiddos!

No comments

Back to Top